Angie Thomas keynote: How I Became a Writer
Angie Thomas is the reigning queen of the New York Times bestseller list for her spectacular YA debut novel, The Hate U Give, about a black girl who witnesses a horrific crime and has to decide how to navigate her own survival and response. Published by Balzer + Bray, the book earned eight stars, has been optioned by Hollywood, and has become required reading for every teen in America and their families as well. “It’s relevant, it’s beautifully written, it’s powerful, and it’s unflinching,” Lin Oliver said. “Today,” Angie said, “I am her to beg you to change our world.... I’m here to tell you that it’s possible to change the world, and has writers and illustrators, you have the power to do just that.” Growing up, Angie was a shy kid. She didn’t know she had a voice, or that it mattered. And her neighborhood was a hard one to grow up in. It was the kind where there was sometimes gunfire at night, and she didn’t see her story in books—though she saw it on the nightly news. “Whe...









Comments
Post a Comment